• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Corrective Jaw Surgery

Volundr

Bluelighter
After years of braces/retainers etc. I am finally going to be on a waiting list for jaw surgery to fix my rather large overbite.

Basically, is there anything anyone has to share about this procedure? I've never had any surgery before, and don't really know much about the results of the surgery, other than an alligned jaw of course.

I've tried googling, but as with any ailment or medical question, the main results are from yahoo answers and tend to be from scaremongers or generally people that have absolutely no idea as to what they're on about.

From pushing my jaw forward in the mirror I certainly prefer the aesthetic result, gives me a much more masculine defined jawline and definitely improves the side-profile, and as this is something I'm quite self-conscious about, the surgery should be a self-esteem boost as well as better for me.

So yeah, if anyone has anything to share, I will be extremely grateful!

I was given that option a couple years back--They told me I had to wait 'til after I was 21 or so. I was told that to bring my jaw forward, they would break my jaw, bring it forward, wire it shut. It would stay wired shut for about six months to heal. During that six month period, it would be difficult to talk, and I would be on a liquid-food-only diet.

Another option they gave me (as the above didn't and still doesn't sound too pleasing to me as nice as it would make my jaw line look) was to remove one or two teeth on the top on either side, and put braces back on for awhile to move my top teeth back.

Or they told me I could leave it alone. I've lived with this overbite for 20+ years--It doesn't impede my chewing, swallowing, or anything on a daily basis (though eating things like apples whole are a literal pain). Getting it fixed is purely cosmetic in my case. I say if you're really unhappy with your overbite, or if it causes actual issues with chewing, go get it fixed, but realize that there are other options than the jaw surgery.

Oh, also: I was told that had I worn my headgear for the proper amount of time (18 hours a day, 7 days a week, over the span of four or five years [had braces for eight years]) that my overbite would not still be as substantial as it is. Not to say you didn't wear yours, if you even had one, but I know I barely wore mine--Tried wearing it at night for a few months, and I got to the point I was able to take it off in my sleep (my mom and grandma both witnessed me, sound asleep, trashing about trying to get that thing unhooked LMAO).

Anyway, if you do get the surgery, good luck! Hopefully someone will come along who's actually had it.